Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's Raining, It's Pouring ~ and I'm smiling!

Lately, it seems a black cloud is hovering just above my home.  The dishwasher goes kaput, I need new glasses (yes, bifocals!), the puppy we got my son for his birthday got very sick and is spending costly time camping at the vet . . .  and on, and on, and on.  It seems as if when it rains, it truly does pour. Still, in an effort to not be fat and turning fifty in a few months, my husband, youngest son and myself dragged ourselves to our favorite walking spot.  I live in the capital city of West Virginia and if you have never visited our grand mountain state, it is a beautiful sight to behold, especially the area around our state capital with lush grounds and amazing views of the Kanawha river.  So, this past weekend, we laced up our shoes and headed out for a few laps in the early morning.  My husband and I chatted about how we were going to financially "arrange" all the new necessities that had cropped up while my son enjoyed the morning of his 12th birthday following us and listening to his iPod.  Midway into our second lap, the skies opened up and unleashed a powerful rainstorm that drenched us completely.  We had no choice but to continue walking and try to reach our car before we drowned!  As we hurried, my son began laughing and talking about what great fun it was to have the freedom to walk in the downpour.  He was right.  It was humbling - we look a fright.  It was empowering - we were belly laughing in the face of yuck.  It was fun!  Things around here are still breaking, needing fixed and always needing prayer, but now, my outlook has shifted all because I was forced to muddle through the rain and managed to do so with a great, big grin!

Visit me at http://www.1wingheart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment